Don’t miss out on your FREE vitamins!!!!
Free Healthy Start vitamins for ALL:
-Children under 4 years old
-Mothers of a child under 1 year old
If they are registered with a Birmingham GP
Why should I take Healthy Start vitamins?
These contain vitamin D, which offers protection against rickets and is important for the development of strong, healthy bones. Everyone needs this vitamin but especially growing children and women who are pregnant or have a child under the age of 1.
What happens if we don’t get enough vitamin D?
Growing children can develop rickets which can slow their walking and development. If pregnant women don’t have enough in their bodies their babies are born with low levels of this important vitamin and this can cause them in some cases to have fits.
Can’t I get enough vitamin D through my diet?
Very few foods contain vitamin D. Most vitamin D is formed in the body by sunlight acting on exposed skin. We don’t get much sunshine in the UK and tend to cover up because of the cold. The best way to be sure we are getting enough Vitamin D is to take Healthy Start vitamins.
Avoid rickets by:
- Taking your Healthy Start vitamins for Women in pregnancy and until your child is 1 year old
- Giving Healthy Start Children’s vitamin drops to your children until they reach age 4
- Getting some sunlight on your and your children’s skin whilst taking care not to get sunburnt
- Eating foods with vitamin D in them such as oily fish, eggs (well-cooked), margarine and fortified breakfast cereals.
So don’t miss out, speak to your midwife, health visitor or children’s centre. Free Healthy Start vitamins for women and children are available from Health Centre’s, Children’s Centre’s, some pharmacies and GPs.
Give your family a Healthy Start!
Are you eligible for the National Healthy scheme?
Did you know that with the national Healthy Start scheme, you get free vouchers each week to spend on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables and infant formula? You also get free vitamins.
Each voucher is worth £3.10 so can really help with the cost of the weekly shop.
- If you are pregnant you get 1 voucher a week worth £3.10.
- For each baby under the age of 1 you get 2 vouchers a week worth a total of £6.20.
- For each child aged over 1 and under 4, your family gets 1 voucher a week worth £3.10.
If you are pregnant or have children under the age of 4 you could qualify if you are on benefits or under 18 and pregnant.
Applying for Healthy Start is really easy. For more information and to see who qualifies, check out http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/
Alternatively speak to your midwife, Health Visitor or GP or local Children’s Centre.