Did you know that using a bottle for too long and for drinks other than milk or water can damage kids teeth and cause tooth decay?
Help protect babies and young kids teeth and get the whole family smiling for National Smile Month (20 May-20June) with these tooth friendly tips:
- Start moving your baby off the bottle at 6 months old by introducing an open cup or free flow beaker at mealtimes
- Use the cup for both milk and water
- Once your baby is 1 you can bin their bottle – leaving it longer makes it much more difficult to move them on
- If the bottle has become a comfort for older kids encourage them to give it up to the bottle fairy and reward them with a new cup, sticker/certificate or activity of their choice.
And don’t forget to:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Visit the dentist regularly, as often as they recommend
- Cut down on the frequency of sugary foods and drinks
For tooth friendly snack ideas visit the 2 snacks max page and more info on bottles and cups please click here